Monday 15 September 2008

Road Rage

The British are, we are told with mind-numbing regularity, the most watched people in the world, with more CCTV cameras per head of population in the UK than any other nation in the world. (Though I hear the Chinese are catching up – the city of Shenzen will soon have two million surveillance cameras watching over a population of 12 million.)

Now, I read today in the paper (a real newspaper which you have to buy, like a grown-up) that the police are to expand their car surveillance operation that will allow them to record the details of millions of journeys every day, and to store this data for up to five years.

I don’t have a visceral, knee-jerk antipathy to surveillance cameras. I do find them somewhat creepy and I am concerned about the centralisation of data detailing exactly where I’ve been all day. (Yes, I do have an Oyster card and yes I am aware that this too tracks me.) I’m also concerned about who has access to this data and how it’s used. For example, I’m not particularly impressed with councils using hardcore anti-terrorism legislation to snoop on litter droppers.

But unlike the witless graffiti vandal Banksy, I don’t think all surveillance is a bad idea. Cameras do occasionally help the police to foil a crime in progress; it has been known for CCTV recordings to lead to successful prosecutions in court. I would argue that this is not altogether a bad thing.

I’m sure that the cops’ plan to record 18bn number plates in 2009 will probably help them to solve and prevent more crimes. What I doubt is whether the scheme is proportionate, value for money or safe. If the database goes ahead, it will store a colossal amount of information on the private lives of identifiable individuals. Of course, GCHQ listens to our phone calls and if they cared to they could probably reveal you penchant for dirty phone calls and casual drug use. But they’re spies and are pretty good at keeping hold of information. (Rather too good at keeping hold of information, if the Omagh story is to be believed…)

My point is that before the Home Office implements a new, massive repository of citizens’ data, it must first show that they can be trusted with large amounts of highly sensitive information. Or small amounts, for that matter.

While I don’t necessarily deny a need for the police’s car surveillance plan, I do think the government needs to win the public debate on the need for such surveillance. Whether they will even engage in such a debate on this issue remains to be seen.

No comments: